30 MARCH, 2015 @ 12:01 AM
Nick Clegg has launched the Liberal Democrats General Election campaign, as the Lib Dems’ yellow “Battle Bus” is revealed for the first time.
At a campaign rally with activists, Nick launched the party’s election battle bus, before heading to Oxford West and Abingdon for a day of door knocking and delivery.
The bus includes a satellite radio transmitter so that Nick will be able to do ‘Call Clegg’ style radio interviews direct from the bus when he is on the road, campaigning across the country.
The Liberal Democrat campaign will focus on the five main priorities that will feature on the front page of our manifesto.
- Creating prosperity for all by balancing the budget and invest in building a high skill low carbon economy.
- Fairer taxes – creating a fairer economy by cutting income tax by a further £400 by raising the personal tax threshold to £12,500.
- Quality healthcare for all, investing £8bn a year in real terms in the NHS by 2020 and putting mental health on equal footing with physical health.
- Creating opportunity for every child by protecting the education budget from cradle to college.
- Protecting our environment and tackling climate change with five green laws.
Speaking ahead of the launch Nick said:
“For the first time ever, the Liberal Democrats go into this campaign with a record of action in Government to be extremely proud of.
“We have provided stability and rescued the economy. And we have made Britain fairer by cutting taxes for working people, helping the poorest children in schools and creating 2m apprenticeships.
“We have shown that you don’t need to choose between a stronger economy and a fairer society. With Liberal Democrats in Government you can have both.
“We will cut less than the Conservatives and borrow less than Labour.
“We have kept the Government in the centre ground and shown that we are the only party that can build a stronger economy and a fairer society.”