May 22, 2015 12:19 PM
The Liberal Democrat leadership candidates Tim Farron and Norman Lamb have joined forces to launch the party’s campaign to protect the Human Rights Act.
Now the Conservatives have set out plans to abolish the Human Rights Act in the first 100 days of this Parliament.
The Conservatives don’t care about the rights of people in this country – they only appear to care about satisfying their right wing. The Human Rights Act reflects British values – the same values that would be threatened by scrapping it.
The Human Rights Act exists to protect our basic human rights, regardless of gender, race, religion or background.
The Human Rights Act gives us access to:
- the right to life;
- the prohibition of torture and inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment;
- the prohibition of slavery and forced labour;
- the right to liberty and security of the person;
- the right to a fair trial;
- prohibition of punishment without law;
- the right to respect for private and family life;
- the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion;
- the right to freedom of expression;
- the right to freedom of assembly and association;
- the right for men and women to marry and found a family;
- the right to peaceful enjoyment of personal property;
- the right to education;
- the right to free elections;
- and the prohibition of discrimination.